Practical Approach to Project Management
Project Practical Approach for Project Management
Projects are being executed in every industry. A managing project is a combination of Art and science. It requires knowledge, experience and ability to manage Stakeholders. PMBOK is the worldwide broadly accepted project management standard by PMI, USA.
This course is designed to provide the footprints to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and close the project as per the PMBOK. This course is equally important for IT/Software , Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, Consulting, Government, Utilities and Construction etc. projects.
This course is based on a dummy project Deployment and Implementation of MS Project server along with MS SharePoint server. It will help course participants to get the practical essence of the Project Management in light of PMBOK.
1- Project Initiation:
- Project Charter: Components of Project Charter how to plan and develop project charter.Explain what is project Charter, Why it is needed and different components of the Project Charter. How to Prepare it.
- Business Case: Why Project is being selected. Is it align with Organizational Goals. Narrate practical Example.
- Project Feasibility: What is Feasibility? Different components of the feasibility.
- Financial Analysis: Present value, Future value, Net Present value (NPV), Internal rate of Return (IRR). Perform actual analysis using Excel.
- Stakeholder: Stakeholder identification and Analysis.
- Organizational Process Asset: What are Organizational Process Assets? How they influence the project life cycle?
- Enterprise Environmental Factors: What are Enterprise Environmental Factors? How they influence the project life cycle?
- Statement of Work: Example of the statement of work.
- Product Description and High-level Project Scope: How to add high-level Project and product scope.
- Constraints and assumptions: What are constraints and assumption, how to document them and maintain the log sheet.
- High-level Resource: Availability of resources and high-level availability and allocation.
- Level 1 Schedule: Prepare level 1 Schedule with key major deliverables with project completion Date.
- Final Approval: Who will approval it.
- Discussion on Sample project Charter; Discussion on Sample charter for a dummy Project.
2- Project Planning:
- Gathering Project and Product Requirements: Gathering Project Information, Methodology, Performing some studies, Prototype, Contract documents.
- Identify Stakeholders Need/Requirement, Expectation, and Wishlist: How to prepare Stakeholder Management log sheet and manage it.
- Finalize Project Requirements: What are project requirements? How to gather them?
- Finalize Project Scope: It includes Project and Product Scope.
- WBS: What is WBS? The Best way to Create WBS, WBS Code, and Details: Discus it in details by creating the actual WBS.
- Project Scheduling: Create Activity, Project Scheduling methodology. How to do Project Scheduling manually. Create and complete small schedule and create network diagram manually.
- Cost Estimates: Cost Estimate Type, Cost estimate methodology as per AACE ( American Association of Cost Engineers).
- Estimate Resource Requirements: Type of Resources and their responsibilities.
- Critical Path: Critical Path elaboration using manually created network diagram.
- Develop Schedule and budget:
- Quality Management: Quality Management Plan Quality Matrices, Quality Control, and Quality Assurance. Discussion on 7 tools of quality in Depth.
- Communication: Communication plan. Why is it needed? Sources and different types of Communications. Best ways to communicate.
- Risk Management: Will add videos from Risk Management Course.
- Procurement: What is procurement? How does it work in mega projects? What are long lead Items? Procurement and Logistics Tracking Sheet. The difference between purchase requisition (PR) and Purchase Order (PO). Letter of Intent (LOI). Manufacturer Schedule. Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) and Site Acceptance Test (SAT).
- Establishing Baseline: Why Baselines and how to use them. Setting up basis or Project monitoring and Control.
- Change Management: What is change Management plan? How to plan and implement it.
- Project Management Plan: Discuss in details the finalization and subsets of Project Management Plan and Project Document.
3- Project Execution:
- Execute work as per schedule: How to start executing work. How to follow Schedule and track the progress? How Planning and execution overlap with each other.
- Produce documents and deliverables: Deliverable and Product Document log sheet. Document management system as part of Project Information Management System.
- Risk Workshops: Why and how to conduct Risk workshops for Risk Identification?
- Change Orders: What are change Orders? How to deal with them as a part of Change Management System.
- Quality inspection: Quality Inspections. Corrective and preventive actions based on Quality Audits.
- Acquiring and Managing Team: How to assign team and manage the team?
- Manage Stakeholder: Manage Stakeholder expectation.
4- Project Monitoring and Control:
- EVM: What is EVM? A Formula to calculate EVM?
- Audits: What type of Audits to be conducted? Corrective and preventive actions based on Quality Audits.
- Change Management: With Respect to Project Monitoring and Control.
5- Project Closure:
- Project Deliverable Checklist: Confirm Project deliverable by completing the checklist
- Project Deliverable Sign off: Get signoff from the Buyer/ End user on Project deliverables and overall project completion
- Lesson Learned: What is lesson Learned? How they captured and utilize in next project?
After completing the course. Students will be able:
- To learn complete Project Life Cycle as per PMBOK by PMI.
- To get the in-depth knowledge of every component of Project Management.
- To initiate, plan and execute the Project.
- to develop Project charter, WBS, project schedule, project cost estimates and Risk Management etc.
|Project Economics – PM||00:07:00|
|Performing Financial Analysis of the project. IRR, NPV, FV, PV and other formulae related Project Economics.|
|Project Charter is a document that gives authority to the Project Manager to plan and execute the Project.|
|Project Management Plans – PM||00:07:00|
|Project Mangement plans. How to plan the components of the project management.|
|Project Stakeholder Analysis – PM||00:12:00|
|Learn how to identify and perform Stakeholder analysis. Stakeholder analysis using Power - Interest Grid.|
|Project Stakeholder Register – PM||00:12:00|
|Stakeholder Register is the best way to keep record of all the requirement, initiated by the Stakeholders.|
|Project Requirement Gathering – PM||00:07:00|
|Gathering project requirements. discuss the best tools and techniques to gather project requirements effectively.|
|Project Scope – PM||00:07:00|
|Techniques to finalise project scope|
|WBS – PM||00:05:00|
|WBS - Work Breakdown Structure. Dividing Projects into Small and Manageable Chunks|
|Activity List – PM||00:04:00|
|Creating activity list to develop schedule.|
|Scheduling – PM||00:28:00|
|Creating Network diagram Identify the paths and Critical Path. Forward and Backward Pass.|
|Project Resources – PM||00:04:00|
|Project resources in terms of Man, Machine, and Material. Project resources to calculate cost estimate|
|Project Cost Estimation – PM||00:38:00|
|Cost estimation classification. Lean how to do cost estimation.|
|Project Quality – PM||00:17:00|
|Planning for project quality. What are the key important factors for quality.|
|Project Risk Management – PM||00:10:00|
|What is Risk? How to Identify and analyze Risks? Discussion on Opportunity and Issue for effective project management|
|Project Risk Register – PM||00:35:00|
|What is Risk register? Using Risk register for capture all the information related to Risk management.|
|Project procurement Register – PM||00:14:00|
|The significance of procurement register. Learn the ways to capture the procurement and shipping related information into procurement register.|
|Project Execution – PM||00:11:00|
|Discuss the various components of the project execution.|
|Project change Management – PM||00:04:00|
|How to perform change management? brief discussion on change management.|
|Project Earned Value Management – PM||00:23:00|
|What is Earned value? How to calculate values for EVM? Learn EVM through an example.|
|Project closure – PM||00:07:00|
|Discussion on phase and project closeout.|